Wear Behaviour of Aluminium Matrix Hybrid Composites: A Review
Keywords:Aluminium, Metal Matrix Composites, Hybrid Metal Matrix Composites, Graphite, Alumina, Friction Stir Processing
This review focus on the effect of reinforcement and different manufacturing techniques on wear and mechanical properties aluminium matrix composites and hybrid composites. These materials have capacity to satisfying the demands of advanced engineering materials applications. These difficulties are satisfied due to improved mechanical properties, conventional processing technique and reducing fabrication cost of aluminium composites. In powder metallurgy, the crucial issue is the selection of sizes of the matrix and reinforcement powders, whereas a major challenge in liquid metallurgy is wettability between the reinforcement particles and molten alloy. The addition of Al2O3 particles in matrix increases the mechanical strength and wear resistance of composites. However, incorporation of these particles can reduce the wear performance of Al composites under severe conditions. The addition of graphite particles helps in the formation of a thick layer on the wear surface. It was found that the mechanical and wear properties of the single reinforcement composites are better as compared to pure aluminium and aluminium alloys regardless of the aluminium matrix composites fabrication technique. Further, it was also established that most of the hybrid composites demonstrate better mechanical and tribological properties as compared to single reinforcement composites.
How to cite this article:
Singh S, Gupta A, Sharma. Wear Behaviour of Aluminium Matrix Hybrid Composites: A Review. J Adv Res Mech Engi Tech 2019; 6(1&2): 13-22.
2. Rajan TPD, Pillai RM, Pai BC. Reinforcement coatings and interfaces in aluminium metal matrix composites. Journal of Materials Science 1998; 33(14): 3491-3503.
3. Uthayakumar MS, Aravindan S, Rajkumar K. Wear performance of Al-SiC-B4C hybrid composites under
dry sliding conditions. Materials & Design 2013; 47: 456-464.
4. Thareja P, Shalom A. Processing Aluminium Fly Ash Composites via Parametric Analysis of Stir Casting. J
Adv Res Manu Mat Sci Metall Engi 2016; 3(3&4).
5. Sajjadi SA, Zebarjad SM. Microstructural analysis and mechanical properties of aluminium matrix nanocomposites reinforced with uncoated and Cucoated alumina particles. Mater Sci Eng A 2014; 607: 81-88.
6. Knowles AJ et al. Microstructure and mechanical properties of 6061 Al alloy based composites with SiC nanoparticles. Journal of Alloys and Compounds 2014; 615: S401-S405.
7. Yamaguchi M, Fanqiang M, Kosty F et al. Powder metallurgy routes toward aluminium boron nitride nanotube composites, their morphologies, structures and mechanical properties. Materials Science and Engineering: A 2014; 604: 9-17.
8. Liu B, WenMao H, HaoWei W et al. Study on the load partition behaviors of high particle content B4C/Al
composites in compression. Journal of Composite Materials 2014; 48(3): 355-364.
9. Deaquino-Lara R, Soltani N, Bahrami A et al. Tribological characterization of Al7075-graphite composites
fabricated by mechanical alloying and hot extrusion. Materials & Design 2015 67: 224-231.
10. Kanthavel K, Sumesh KR, Saravanakumar P. Study of tribological properties on Al/Al2O3/MoS2 hybrid
composite processed by powder metallurgy. Alexandria Engineering Journal 2016; 55(1): 13-17.
11. Safri SNA, Sultan MTH, Jawaid H et al. Impact behaviour of hybrid composites for structural applications: A
review. Composites Part B: Engineering 2018; 133: 112-121.
12. Ramesh CS, Keshavamurthy R, Channabasappa BH. Microstructure and mechanical properties of Ni-P
coated Si3N4 reinforced Al6061 composites. Mater Sci Eng A 2009; 502: 99-106.
13. Lashgari HR, Sufizadeh AR, Emamy M. The effect of strontium on the microstructure and wear properties
of A356-10%B4C cast composites. Mater Des 2010; 31: 2187-2195.
14. Ramnath BV, Elanchezhian C, Jaivignesh M et al. Evaluation of mechanical properties of aluminium
alloy-alumina-boron carbide metal matrix composites. Materials & Design 2014; 58: 332-338.
15. Pramanik, Sumit, et al. Metal Matrix Composites: Theory Techniques and Applications. Composite Materials. Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 2017; 369-411.
16. Sidhu SS, Kumar S, Batish A. Metal matrix composites for thermal management: a review. Critical Reviews in
Solid State and Materials Sciences 2016; 41(2): 132-157.
17. Wan Yi, Takahashi J. Tensile properties and aspect ratio simulation of transversely isotropic discontinuous
carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastics. Composites Science and Technology 2016; 137: 167-176.
18. Shirvanimoghaddam K, Hamim SU, Akbari MK et al. Carbon fiber reinforced metal matrix composites: Fabrication processes and properties. Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing 2017; 92: 70-96.
19. Jaswinder S. Fabrication characteristics and tribological behavior of Al/SiC/Gr hybrid aluminium matrix
composites: A review.” Friction 2016; 4(3): 191-207.
20. Jayalakshmi S, Gupta M. Metallic amorphous alloy reinforcements in light metal matrices. New York city:
Springer International Publishing, 2015.
21. Hassan HA, Hellier AK, Crosky AK et al. Fracture toughness of cast and extruded Al6061/15% Al2O3p metal matrix composites. Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering 2018; 1-9.
22. Wang W, Shi QY, Liu P et al. A novel way to produce bulk SiCp reinforced aluminium metal matrix composites by friction stir processing. J Mater Process Technol 2009; 209: 2099-2103.
23. Hsu CJ, Chang CY, Kao PW et al. Al-AL3Ti nanocomposite produced in situ by friction stir processing. Acta Mater 2006; 54: 5241-5249.
24. Yadav D, Ranjit R. Processing, microstructure and mechanical properties of nickel particles embedded
aluminium matrix composites. Mater Sci Eng A 2011; 528: 1326-1333.
25. Ghaffari M, Tan PY, Oruc ME, et al. Effect of ball milling on the characteristics of nano structure SrFeO powder
for photocatalytic degradation of methylene blue under visible light irradiation and its reaction kinetics. Catal
Today. 2011; 161: 70-77.
26. Thareja P, Exploring qualte-k-nology for a breakthrough tomorrow (quality of, say, particulate technology
knowledge). Omni Science: A Multi-disciplinary Journal 2013; 3(2): 12-26,
27. Bodukuri AK, Eswaraiah K, Rajendar K et al. Fabrication of Al-SiC-B4C metal matrix composite by powder
metallurgy technique and evaluating mechanical properties. Perspectives in Science 2016; 8: 428-431.
28. Thareja P, Akhai S. Processing Parameters of Powder,Aluminium-Fly Ash P/M Composites. J Adv Res Manu
Mat Sci Metall Engi 2017; 4(3&4).
29. Jokhio MH, Muhammad IP, Mukhtiar AU. Manufacturing of aluminium composite material using stir casting
process. arXiv preprint arXiv: 2016; 1604-01251.
30. Gladston JA, Dinaharan I, Selvam JDR et al. Production and characterization of rich husk ash particulate reinforced AA6061 aluminium alloy composites by compocasting. Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China 2015; 25(3): 683-691.
31. Muraliraja R, et al. Development of alumina reinforced aluminium metal matrix composite with enhanced
compressive strength through squeeze casting process. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part L: Journal of Materials: Design and Applications 2019; 233(3): 307-314.
32. Woo DJ, Heer FC, Brewer LN et al. Synthesis of nanodiamond-reinforced aluminium metal matrix composites using cold-spray deposition. Carbon 2015; 86: 15-25.
33. Meignanamoorthy M, Ravichandran M. Synthesis of metal matrix composites via powder metallurgy route Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering 2018; 22(1): 65-75.
34. Kandpal BC, Singh H. Fabrication and characterisation of Al2O3/aluminium alloy 6061 composites fabricated
by Stir casting. Materials Today: Proceedings 2017; 4(2): 2783-2792.
35. Mahdi AS, Mustapa MS, Hakim MA et al. Dry Sliding Wear Behavior of the Reinforced by Graphite Particle
and Heat Treated of Recycled Aluminium AA6061 Based MMC Fabricated by Powder Metallurgy Method. Key
Engineering Materials. Trans Tech Publications Ltd 2017; 740.
36. Akhlaghi F, Zare-Bidaki A. Influence of graphite content on the dry sliding and oil impregnated sliding wear
behaviour of Al 2024-graphite composites produced by in situ powder metallurgy method. Wear 2009; 266(1&2): 37-45.
37. Liu YB, Hu JD, Cao ZY et al. Wear resistance of laser processed Al-Si graphite particle composites. Wear
1997; 206: 83-86.
38. Yilmaz O and Buytoz S. Abrasive wear of Al2O3 reinforced aluminium based MMCs’. Compos Sci Technol
2001; 61: 2381-2392.
39. Safiulla M, Ramesh CS, Ramachandra A. Tribological characteristics of extruded Al6061-5 wt. % SiC composites. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Manufacturing (eds Anwarul H, Ahmed M, Karim ANM, et al.), Dhaka, 2002; 4-20.
40. Kok M, Ozdin K. Wear resistance of aluminium alloy and its composites reinforced by Al2O3 particles. Journal
of Material Processing and Technology 2007; 183: 301-309.
41. Akhlaghi F, Bidaki AZ. Influence of graphite content on the dry sliding and oil impregnated sliding wear
behaviour of Al-2024-graphite composites produced by in-situ powder metallurgy method. Wear 2009; 266: 37-45.
42. Sajjadi SA, Ezatpour HR, Torabi MP. Comparison of microstructure and mechanical properties of A356 aluminium alloy/Al2O3 composites fabricated by stir and compo casting processes. Mater Des 2012; 34: 106-111.
43. Kumar A, Lal S, Kumar S. Fabrication and characterization of A359/Al2O3 metal matrix composite using
electromagnetic stir casting method. J Mater Res Technol 2013; 2: 250-254.
44. Kok M. Production and mechanical properties of Al2O3 particle reinforced 2024 aluminium alloy composites.
J Mater Process Technol 2005; 161: 381-387.
45. Baradeswaran A, Elayaperumal A, Isaac RF. A statistical analysis of optimization of wear behaviour of Al/ Al2O3 Composites using Taguchi technique. Procedia Eng 2013; 64: 973-982.
46. Baradeswaran A, Perumal AE. Wear and mechanical characteristics of Al 7075/graphite composites. Composites B 2014; 56: 472-476.
47. Suresh S. Tribological Behavior of Al 7075 / SiC Metal Matrix Nano-Composite by Stir Casting Method. 2018.
48. Verma N. Review on Effect of Various Types of Reinforcement Particles on Mechanical Behavior of 6061 and 7075 Aluminium Alloy Matrix Co. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Engineering Research (IJETER) 2017: 4-9.
49. Baradeswaran A, Perumal AE. Effect of Graphite on Tribological and Mechanical Properties of AA7075 Composites Effect of Graphite on Tribological and Mechanical Properties of AA7075 Composites. Tribology
Transaction 2015: 1-6.
50. Beygi H, Sajjadi SA, Zebarjad SM. Microstructural Analysis and Mechanical Characterization of Aluminium
Matrix Nanocomposites PhD Thesis View Project. Materials Science & Engineering A 2014; 607: 81-88.
51. Ruirui Wu, Yuan Z, Li Q. Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of 7075 Al Alloy Based Composites with
Al2O3 Nanoparticles Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of 7075 Al Alloy Based Composites. International Journal of Cast Metals Research 2017; 0461: 1-4.
52. Prajapati AK, Omrani E, Menezes PL et al. Effect of Graphite Particles on Improving Tribological Properties
Al-16Si-5Ni-5 Graphite Self-Lubricating Composite under Fully Flooded and Starved Lubrication Conditions
for Transportation Applications. 2016.
53. Kulkarni R, Swan PM, Sonawane MG et al. Effect of Graphite Addition on the Mechanical Properties of Stir Cast Particulate Aluminium Metal Matrix Composite Reinforced with Alumina and Silicon Carbide. 2001;
54. Gurcan AB, Baker. Wear behaviour of AA6061 alloy and its composites. Wear 1995; 188: 185-191.
55. Kumar, Ravinder and Suresh Dhiman. A Study of Sliding Wear Behaviours of Al-7075 Alloy and Al-7075 Hybrid
Composite by Response Surface Methodology Analysis. Materials and Design 2013; 50: 351-59.
56. Ted GML, Tsao CYA. Tribological behaviour of self lubricating aluminium/SiC/Gr hybrid composite synthesized by semisolid powder densification method. Compos Sci Technol 2000; 60: 65-74.
57. Ravindran P, Manisekar K, Narayanasamy P et al. Application of factorial techniques to study the wear of Al hybrid composites with graphite addition. Mater Des 2012; 39: 42-54.
58. Kannan C, Ramanujam R. Journal of Advanced Research Comparative Study on the Mechanical and Microstructural Characterization of AA 7075 Nano and Hybrid Nanocomposites Produced by Stir and Squeeze
Casting. Cairo University. 2017.
59. Saheb, Dunia Abdul. Aluminium silicon carbide and aluminium graphite particulate composites. 2011; 6(10): 41-46.
60. Ahlatci H, Kocer T, Candan E et al. Wear behaviour of Al/ (Al2O3+SiC) Hybrid composites. TribolInt 2006; 39:
61. Suresh P, Marimuthu K, Arunkumar G et al. Evaluation of parameters influencing surface roughness on turning of Al-SiC-Gr hybrid composites. International Journal of Advanced Engineering Applications 2013; 6(3): 38-43.
62. Radhika N, Subramanian R and Prasat SV. Tribological behaviour of aluminium/ alumina/ graphite hybrid
metal matrix composite using Taguchi’s techniques. J Min Mater Charact Eng 2011; 10: 427-443.
63. Ravindran P, Manisekar K, Narayanasamy P et al. Application of factorial techniques to study the wear of Al hybrid composites with graphite addition. Mater Des 2012; 39: 42-54.
64. Ravindran P, Manisekar K, Rathika P et al. Tribological properties of powder metallurgy processed aluminium
self-lubricating hybrid composites with SiC additions. Mater Des 2013; 45: 561-570.
65. Unlu BS. Investigation of tribological and mechanical properties Al2O3-SiC reinforced Al composites
manufactured by casting or P/M method. Mater Des 2008; 29: 2002-2008.
66. Suresha S and Sridhara BK. Wear characteristics of hybrid aluminium matrix composite reinforced with graphite and silicon carbide particulates. Compos Sci Technol 2010; 70: 1652-1659.
67. Suresha S, Sridhara BK. Effect of addition of graphite particulates on the wear behaviour in aluminiumsilicon
carbide-graphite composites. Mater Des 2010; 31: 1804-1812.
68. Altinkok N, Ozsert I, Findik F. Dry sliding wear behaviour of Al2O3/SiC particle reinforced aluminium based MMCs fabricated by stir casting method. International Journal of Science and Advanced Technology 2012.
69. Aruri, Devaraju, et al. “Wear and mechanical properties of 6061-T6 aluminium alloy surface hybrid composites
[(SiC+ Gr) and (SiC+ Al2O3)] fabricated by friction stir processing. Journal of Materials Research and Technology 2013; 2(4): 362-369.
70. Alaneme KK, Olubambi PA. Fabrication characteristics and mechanical behaviour of rice husk ash-Alumina
reinforced Al-Mg-Si alloy matrix hybrid composites. Journal of Materials Research and Technology 2013; 2(1): 60-67.
71. Altinkok N, Koban A. The tensile behaviour and microstructure of Al2O3/SiCp reinforced aluminium based MMCs produced by stir casting process. Int J Sci Adv Technol 2012; 2: 78-86.
72. Devaraju A, Kumar A, Kumaraswamy A. Influence of reinforcements (SiC and Al2O3) and rotational speed
on wear and mechanical properties of aluminium alloy 6061-T6 based surface hybrid composites produced via
friction stir processing. Mater Des 2013; 51: 331-341.
73. Baradeswaran A, Vettivel SC, Perumal AE et al. Experimental investigation on mechanical behaviour, modelling and optimization of wear parameters of B4C aluminium hybrid composites and graphite reinforced.
Mater Des 2014; 63: 620-632.
74. Baradeswaran A and Perumal AE. Study on mechanical and wear properties of Al 7075/Al2O3/graphite hybrid
composites. Composites B 2014; 56: 464-471.
75. Ahmadi A, Mohammad RT and Abbas N. Evaluation of microstructure and mechanical properties of Al/Al2O3/
SiC hybrid composite fabricated by accumulative roll bonding process. Mater Des 2014; 53: 13-19.